I detailed the workings of this fraudulent operation back in 2013, and wondered at that time why the Dutch authorities don’t shut these scumsuckers down.
They’re still at it.
Edit: Per a comment below, this scam may also come from “World Company List.” Same bad guys or another outfit just like them.
Received today this email:
From: “Olivia Andre” <email@example.com>To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: [SPAM] Business Registration 2015/2016
Ladies and Gentlemen.In order to have your company inserted in the registry of World Businesses List for 2015/2016 edition, please print, complete and submit the attached form (PDF file) to the following address:World Business ListP.O. BOX 30793502 GB, UtrechtThe Netherlandsemail: email@example.com: +31 20 524-8107Updating is free of charge!If you are not the intended recipient, please submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.orgYour request shall be dealt with accordingly.
- Now it’s “World Business List” instead of “European Trade Register.”
- The originating email is email@example.com instead of firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The “sender” is Olivia Andre instead of Marta Low; my suspicion is that both the sender names and the originating email addresses are spoofed.
- The website is http://www.worldbusinesslist.net instead of http://www.european-traderegister.com (which is now 404.)
- “Updating” is still free of charge. It’s not until you get to the fine print that you find out you’ll be charged.
- The three-year price is now €995 instead of €990. Scamming expenses have apparently risen.
- The address is the same, so this is definitely the same outfit.
The Fine Print:
THE SIGNING OF THIS DOCUMENT REPRESENTS THE ACCEPTANCE OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS AND THE CONDITIONS STATED IN “THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR INSERTION” ON WEB PAGE: WWW.WORLD BUSINESSLIST.NET THE SIGNING IS LEGALLY BINDING AND GIVES YOU THE RIGHT OF AN INSERTION IN THE ONLINE DATABASE OF THE WORLD BUS INESS LIST WHICH CAN BE ACCESSED VIA THE INTERNET, ALL IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONTRACT CONDITIONS STATED IN “THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR INSERTION” ON WEB PAGE: WWW.WORLDBUSINESSLIST.NET. THE VALIDATION TIME OF THE CONTRACT IS THREE YEARS AND STARTS ON THE EIGHTH DAY AFTER SIGNING THE CONTRACT. THE INSERTION IS GRANTED AFTER SIGNING AND RECEIVING THIS DOCUMENT BY THE SERVICE PROVIDER. I HEREBY ORDER A SUBSCRIPTION WITH SERVICE PROVIDER EU BUSINESS SERVICES LTD. “WORLD BUSINESS LIST”. I WILL HAVE AN INSERTION INTO ITS DATABASE FOR THREE YEARS. THE PRICE PER YEAR IS EURO 995. THE SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY EXTENDED EVERY YEAR FOR ANOTHER YEAR, UNLESS SPECIFIC WRITTEN NOTICE IS RECEIVED BY THE SERVICE PROVIDER OR THE SUBSCRIBER TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE EXPIRATION OF THE
SUBSCRIPTION. YOUR DATA WILL BE RECORDED. THE PLACE OF JURISDICTION IN ANY DISPUTE ARISING IS THE SERVICE PROVIDER’S ADDRESS. THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE SERVICE PROVIDER AND THE SUBSCRIBER IS GOVERNED BY THE CONDITIONS STATED IN “THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR INSERTION” ON WEB PAGE: WWW.WORLDBUSINESSLIST.NET
Notice the “legally binding” verbage. The enterprise name has changed, but the music remains the same.
Do not be taken in by these bottom-feeders. Refer to the previous entry for further details.
The Old Wolf has spoken.